Welcome to my blog about game development. Have you heard anything about random number generators before? Those are the tools because of which you often feel so salty after losing a game that is based on a cycle of random generation.
But what if we make the actual use of this technology to develop our own online games? If you have always wanted to try something new, it might be just the right idea to start with this game development idea. Check it out!
How to develop games with Random Number Generator
First things first, it might be an excellent decision to start with basics and shed light on the essentials of random number generators (RNGs) and their capacities. For those interested in how RNGs work, let’s start with essentials that you need to know before creating your own online game.
Any RNG is a number or a sequence of numbers that cannot be anyhow predicted, except for a random chance. The results of any RNG tool are actually unpredictable since some of those perks can incorporate thousands of millions of numbers of images, eventually making any predictions utterly unusable.
Any RNG works as a system, which incorporates a range of variables required for its operational capacities. In other words, any generator has to be built on either code or a function that works with certain pieces of data, such as numbers, figures, tables, images, whatsoever. That means that RNG cannot work by itself since it requires the production of unpredictable results based on the already included pieces of information.
It might be shocking for you to hear such things from me, but any RNG is needed for game development since it would be impossible to code and design each specific consequence based on millions of variables.
In the gaming industry, RNG tools are mostly used for generating loot, game events, critical hit chances, and a wide range of other gameplay-related situations. That’s why all game developers, regardless of a scale of their project, turn to RNG tools sooner or later to automatize specific areas of a game for the overall game production to be more convenient regarding the development time.
Except for games, RNGs are widely deployed in statistical sampling, gambling, simulations, and cryptography. I also have my own explanation of where these generators might be used. From what I learned over the last years, RNG tools are in demand in spheres where unpredictable consequences are permissible in specific contextualized situations.
Let’s move on with getting to know about the ways of creating your own games with RNG tools!
Popular Platforms for Creating your own Games with Random Number Generator
As you might be aware already, RNG tools can be used in a wide range of situations and scenarios. As an industry standard, the most popular tools, except for programming languages, are:
● Construct 3
● Trusted RNG
The first one, which is Construct.net (Construct 3) is a modern and versatile game development tool that operates on the basis of a block-based approach. No programming languages are required for using it, yet its features allow deploying RNG elements within the game design. The latter aspect has allowed Construct 3 to shine bright in comparison with other game development tools that failed to deliver such a function. An honorable notion is that Construct 3 can be used for both mobile and desktop gameplay, eventually making it a decent choice for cross-platform development that supports third-party extensions.
I must say that Random.org is an infamous website that solved millions of disputes, which is more than by using any modern diplomatic strategy. This website allows generating thousands of types of random sequences, ranging from numbers to games, statistics, and passwords. Such versatility was used nearly a decade ago to develop full-scale projects on the basis of Random.org. Although it isn’t that popular now, I still decided to mention this fascinating project.
Trusted random number generator is more of a systematic and large-scale infrastructure that is responsible for random number generation and digital timestamping. Even though it can be used in a wide range of contexts and situations, its main use is still relevant in gaming scenarios. Thanks to the universality of Trusted RNG, thousands of AAA projects have randomized game scenarios and other situations related to randomizing functions of this tool.
QuantumRoll is the last worthwhile tool that combines cryptographic signatures with server-to-user random generation. It can be used for verifying one’s identity via the use of cryptographic methods or for game-related situations where five or more variables have to match for a game situation to resolve. Although it is more complex than the other three tools, I feel that its use is justified for more complex situations and game consequences.
Those interested in the basics of RNG in programming languages can read my brief guides below that shed light on the essentials of randomization, as follows:
● Python – a standard library has a module called random that offers a wide range of functions related to randomization. It allows to seed numbers via #seed command, alongside attributing different values to your randomization design.
● Java – by using a given range of values, programming on Java can be easy for RNG tools since entering Math.random commands, followed by provided parameters, result in the creation of a randomization function.
● C++ - I’ll be honest, this is the hardest one for RNG purposes. It uses a function called rand() to run a randomization integer that uses a pseudo-random range from 0 to the maximum indicated parameter.
● Matlab – it employs seeds and nonnegative integers to produce unpredictable sequences of numbers, yet its use in game development might be tough due to the complexity of this function
● Excel formulas - if you are up for generating something random, select the cells, enter the RANDBETWEEN function, and press Enter to let random number generator do all work for you.
Steps by Step: Create your own game with Random Number Generator
Alright, I’m here to assist in making your own game by using RNG tools. Let’s use Python to create a simple game called Guessing Number. It’s quite easy for you to develop even without deep knowledge of Python, which was my choice for you to make your first steps in game development with RNG. Let’s start!
1. To start, open your terminal and import random (module) that will generate numbers to guess.
2. Set three variables, such as:
number of Guesses: 0
number: to generate attempts
name: set to raw_input, which represents a title or nickname of a player
3. Set number in the range of 1 to 50 by entering random.randint (1,50)
Your code will look like this:
4. Set a message for a user to understand the rules of the game by entering the following code lines:
● set a guess variable to raw_input;
● be sure to turn a guess input to a form of an integer;
● regarding each specific try, add a number to numberofGuesses;
● set a guessesLeft to a specific number, which represents a total numberofGuesses.
5. you will have to use if statements to determine if any guess is correct;
6. you have to switch a guessesLeft to a string;
7. be sure to switch an if for guess===number;
8. set an if for guess!=number. It represents a specific number that your game created as the player has failed to get the number within the outlined attempts.
Your code will look like this:
and like this:
9. Your final game will look like the following screen in the terminal. Voila!
Top 3 Types of Games with a Random Number Generator
I must say that developing with RNG tools might only seem to insufficient in a vast gaming world. Here, I recommend you taking a look at the three most popular types of RNG-based games, as follows:
● Online card games. These are of different types in a gaming community. I can refer both to Hearthstone by Blizzard, which is a card game with RNG elements and Poker card shuffling, which is surely based on random number generator one way or another.
RNG works in the way of mixing variables that are required for winning conditions (draw cards in Hearthstone) and flop hands in Poker. This kind of generator is a crucial element of gameplay in online card games, whereas most notable representatives are Magic: The Gathering, Hearthstone, and Pokemon Trading Card Game Online.
● Online casino games. Those are interesting for getting to know about RNG and its peculiar features. You see, in any online slot machine, RNG is the main gameplay mechanic. That’s why these amusements are called games of chance since no real interruption from the side of a player can fix that. Of course, you could increase your winning chances in Blackjack by counting cards, but it’s entirely impossible in slot machines.
Take the Book of Dead, Thunderstruck, and Immortal Romance as examples of slots that work with RNG to determine what symbols appear on the reels. From what I learned over time, in slot machines, random number generator works in the way of generating numbers that correspond to specific symbols. That means that online casino titles are working on the essentials of the RNG system.
● Online role-playing games. When it comes to a role-playing category, I am constantly thinking about huge titles that are mostly MMORPGs. Speaking of notable representatives, I can easily refer to World of Warcraft, Ultima Online, and Guild Wars as notable examples.
In these games, even a variable of your character’s attack is in a range of specific numbers, such as 1456-1867. That means that RNG tools are activated with each attack by choosing a specific amount of damage that your hero deals with each hit. The same applies to critical hits, evasions, and other game-related features. RNG plays a huge role in how we see and play MMORPGs now.
I hope that my guide and explanations were of good use for your first steps of developing games with random number generators. Be sure to read my other articles about game development to get to know more about this exciting process.