In case you can't find your regular instant noodles, here is my lazy recipe for home made egg noodles from scratch. You won't want to go back to instant noodles again.
Ingredients: 1 egg, 1/3 teaspoon of sodium carbonate, flour and water.
Tools: hands, pasta machine, measuring cup, flat surface e.g. baking pan.
Sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) can be made by heating sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). It is also available as washing soda, however I don't know if they are food grade.
Without sodium carbonate it's possible to have hand-pulled noodles with any flour. The downside is you will have to knead the dough for 45 minutes and leave to rest for 2 hours until you can start pulling your noodle strands.
The alkaline dough also help to discourage Salmonella, but hey you are going to boil the noodles at some point anyway.
1. Add 1 large egg, fill water to 1/2 mark, add 1/3 teaspoon of sodium carbonate. (This take cares of egg sizes variation.)
2. top it up the same measuring cup with white general purpose flour to a bit above the 2 cups mark. Why wash when you could use the same cup?
3. Stir it around with a spoon until all the liquid is absorbed.
4. Pour contents into a surface. I use a baking pan to contain spills.
5. Knead the dough until your hands are clean (about 10-15 minutes). It is a very tough dough, but it is a good exercise.
The clean up isn't too bad. Leave the pan for now as you'll need it later.
6. Store the dough in a container and keep it in the fridge for about 3 hours and let it "rest". Make sure you wash your hands after this as the dough is alkaline.
7. I roll the dough with my manual pasta machine starting from the thickest setting. I also trim the rugged edges and patch up holes in the dough. Go one setting at a time to reduce the thickness of the dough sheets. Trim the length when the sheets gets too long.
This dough can be used for making wonton wrapping.
8. Cut the dough with the attachment. Here is the finished product.
I don't bother adding dry flour as the noodle is not sticky.
9. At this point you can put it in boiling water and it cooks in a minute. Rinse under cold water to stops the cooking. The noodle is very chewy. Serves 4-6. Here is the amount for 1/4 of the dough.
10. I put it in a plastic container and freeze it. I put a layer of food wrap between servings so that they don't freeze into one lump. It take less than 2 minutes to cook in boiling water from frozen as there is no need for defrosting.