Close

It works!

A project log for Project 72 - Korg DW-6000 wave memory expansion

An attempt to reverse engineer and modify Korg DW-6000s firmware in order to expand its wave memory.

mateusz.kolanskimateusz.kolanski 11/12/2018 at 21:120 Comments

Yes, it does! Finally after too many hours spent on it I've installed everything inside of my DW6k, flipped the switch and... no magic smoke! But let's take a step back. 

First I've desoldered the original ROMs and installed machined sockets.

After making sure, that it still works, I've soldered some wires directly to the CPU (notice the battery:)) ...

... double checked and installed my ghetto adapter (since it works, I will make a nice PCB soon) with HC374 and two W49F020s full of waveforms ...

... looks nice, yet a little bit messy, "hardware debugger" on the right :) ...

... and it works! I've been playing a few minutes and the new waveforms sound really great. I'll post a few samples soon, maybe even a video to show you that I'm not making this out :)

The only thing to address is the occasional glitch during bank switch, after that I'll order a small batch of PCBs, test it again and we're good with V1.0 :)

Discussions