I first used bdf fonts converted to my own proprietary binary format, but why not try something else? So I took an otf font, converted it to ttf, bdf, and then to binary. And that works indeed.
Below is a picture that shows the result quite nicely. I might pick a different font in the future, but that one seems to fit for now. You can also see some small buttons at the upper left and a CPU/RAM usage widget at the bottom of the screen.The small green board is also new, it carries an LSM303D (I²C accelerometer and magnetometer) which I will use to measure (at least) pitch and roll of the device. Yaw information might either come from the magnetometer or from optical encoders attached to the mount, I'm not sure yet.
I tried to convert the contest logo to a single-glyph font, which turned out to be harder than I thought - for two reasons:
- I'm not a gimp expert
- My glyph class was limited to glyphs with a maximum of 256 bytes. My conversion of the contest logo has 95x98 pixels, resulting in a too large glyph and rubbish on the display. After two hours of changing the glyph format and re-converting all fonts, the result is quite pleasing:
Show me the universe!