This is an early-stage project to modify FED for operant behavioral training
Here are the connections between the micro-controller and various sensors according to the traces in V3 of the PCB board:
SHARP_SCK = Pin 12
SHARP_MOSI = Pin 11
SHARP_SS = Pin 10
Analog Pin 2
Analog Pin 3
Analog Pin 4
Analog Pin 5
Digital Pin 6, Motor standby/active
Analog Pin 1
Left = SDA (Digital Pin 20)
Center= SCL (Digital Pin 21)
Right= Digital Pin 5
RX (Digital Pin 0)
Digital Pin 9
Analog Pin 0
TX (Digital Pin 1)
On board LEDs:
Digital Pin 8
Digital Pin 13
Mohamed populated the new PCBs over the last week and they are working great! To recap, these boards include:
The idea for this improvement to FED2.0 is that this will be a true "platform" device, that can be flashed with different code to function differently. So one code can make it act like FED2.0, while other code can deliver more complex operant paradigms for training mice.
We confirmed that all hardware on this PCB rev is operational, but (of course!) we want to make a couple tweaks before we mass produce. We want to make it a bit easier to solder - a couple components were too close, and we want to move the location of the screen. Overall this will provide a lot more functionality than FED2.0, while being much easier to assemble and taking up ~1/2 the space!
Just got the new PCB... stay tuned for results!
We wrote a simple code that tested the micro-controller's GPIO connections with sensors/actuators. All of the following connections were fine: 3 photo-interrupters, BNC, motor driver, motor headers, screen header, and buzzer. The Neopixel strip was fabricated in the wrong orientation, so I soldered three wires and manually tested it. Consequently, we updated our PCB by carrying out the following:
1) Mirrored all 3 IR sensors and rewired them, in order to operate them on the front side of the board
2) Mirrored Neopixel strip and rewired it in order to solder it to the front side of the board
3) Added 2x5 headers that connect to 4 digital pins, 1 analog pins and of 5 ground pins. These will be utilized for further prototyping/communications with other periphery.
4) Changed the board size and shape in order to improve its fit with already existing FED base.
5) Changed the location of the beeper for a better fit.
The board is ready for fabrication, however, next up: we will be adding a logo to our design!
We got the first PCB! Predictably we have some issues.... the light bar doesn't seem to be connected right. We will need to spin a new board, but this seems really close!
After a lot of consideration, Mohamed and I decided we can't make the operant faceplate without a PCB. The wiring is too cumbersome and annoying to do. We've previously tried really hard not to make a PCB for FED because we thought it may limit some people from making FED, but I guess it's time! We plan to make a board that will hold 3 photo-interrupters (2 pokes and one to detect pellets), the Adalogger, a Neopixel strip, the motor controller, and all relevant connectors. Photos of our first attempts!
The first step will be to take the Sparkfun breakout board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9322) design and make a board that includes 3 of these with one connector to simplify wiring