This is a partial list of references I have used so far in researching the design and operation of glucometers, glucose measurement techniques, strip design, etc. (I continue to find and read new resources).I've included links to articles or abstracts whenever possible.
Microprocessor manufactures (designs, application notes, etc):
- TI-microcontrollers in bG Meters
- Maxim Integrated: Blood Glucose Meters-tutorial
- Freescale: Glucose Meter Fundamentals and Design
- Microchip Glucose Meter Reference Design
Related Projects (on Hackaday and elsewhere)
- Glucometer - Built from OpAmps and a Microcontroller
- Anju N, Latha, Rama Murthy B, Sunitha. 2012. Design and development of a microcontroller based system for the measurement of blood glucose. IJERA 2(5):1440-1444.
- Pulzi Júnior SA , Assunção MSC, Mazza BF, Fernandes HS, Jackiu M, Freitas FGR, Machado FR. 2009. Accuracy of different methods for blood glucose measurement in critically ill patients. Sao Paulo Med J. 127(5):259-65.
- Paolo Rossetti, Jorge Bondia, Josep Vehí and Carmine G. Fanelli. 2010. Estimating plasma glucose from interstitial glucose: the issue of calibration algorithms in commercial continuous glucose monitoring devices. Sensors 10:10936-10952.
- Ahmed S. Abd El-Hamida, Amani E. Fetohia, R.S. Amina, R.M. Abdel Hameed. 2015. Design of digital blood glucose meter based on arduino uno. Int. J. Software & Hardware Research in Engineering. 30(8)
- Accessible Blood Glucose Monitor (gPod) University of Connecticut Biomedical Engineering Senior Design Team 2 (Matthew Bularzik, David Price, Michael Rivera) Sponsored by the Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center on Accessible Medical Instrumentation (RERC on AMI)
- Clarke S, Foster J. A history of blood glucose meters and their role in self monitoring of diabetes mellitus. British journal of biomedical science 2012 69 (2)
- Skeie S., Thue G., Nerhus K., Sandberg S. Instruments for Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose:Comparisons of Testing Quality Achieved by Patients and a Technician
- Performance of Glucose Dehydrogenase– and Glucose Oxidase–Based Blood Glucose Meters at High Altitude and Low TemperaturePerformance of Glucose Dehydrogenase– and Glucose Oxidase–Based Blood Glucose Meters at High Altitude and Low Temperature
- Tonyushkina K., Nichols J. Glucose Meters: A Review of Technical Challenges to Obtaining Accurate Results J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2009 Jul; 3(4): 971–980.
- Yoo EH and Lee SY. Glucose Biosensors: An Overview of Use in Clinical Practice. Sensors (Basel). 2010; 10(5): 4558–4576.
- Cardosi M., Liu Z. Amperometric Glucose Sensors for Whole Blood Measurement Based on Dehydrogenase Enzymes
- Heller A., Feldman B. Electrochemical glucose sensors and their applications in diabetes management. Chem Rev, 2008, 108:2482-2505.
- Newman J,Turner A. Home Blood Glucose Biosensors: A Commercial Perspective. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 20(12):2435-2453
- Bioelectronics for Amperometric Biosensors
Other directions for measuring Blood Glucose
- Gelao G., Marani R., Carriero V. Gina A. 2012. Design of a dielectric spectroscopy sensor for continuous and non-invasive blood glucose monitoring. IJAET 2231-1963
- Goa, Qu, Li, Shrestha, Song. 2014. Development of amperometric glucose biosensor based on prussian functionalized TiO2 nanotube arrays. Scientific Reports November 4, 2014
- Alizadeh, Mirzagholipur. 2014. A Nafion-free non-enzymatic amperometric glucose sensor based on copper oxide nanoparticles-graphene nanocomposite. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 198
- Sabbir Liakat, Kevin A. Bors, Laura Xu, Callie M. Woods, Jessica Doyle,and Claire F. Gmachl. 2014. Noninvasive in vivo glucose sensing on human subjects using mid-infrared light. Biomedical Optics Express. June 23, 2014.
- Printing Low Cost Glucose Test Strips on Paper - this is an amazing idea and works using custom filled inkjet cartridges in a standard inkjet printer!
Patents on Blood Glucose Test Strips
- #5,563,042 Oct. 8, 1996 Whole Blood Glucose Test Strip (Lifescan)
- #5,426,032 Jun. 20, 1995 No-Wipe Whole Blood Glucose Test Strip (Lifescan)
- #6,241,862 B1 Jun. 5, 2001 Disposable Test Strips With Integrated Reagent/Blood Separation Layer (Inverness Medical Technology, Inc.,)
- #7,112,265 B1 Sep. 26, 2006 Disposable Test Strips With Integrated Reagent/Blood Separation Layer (Lifescan)
- #5,951,836 Sep. 14, 1999 Disposable Glucose Test Strips and Method and Compositions for Making Same (Selfcare)
- #7,250,105 B1 Jul. 31, 2007 Measurements of Substances in Liquid (Lifescan)
Patents Related to Standard Solutions to Calibrate Strips/Meters
- Liquid glucose control solution and process of making the same WO 1993021928 A1
- Glucose measurement control reagent and method of making the same
- Glucose reference control for glucose test strips
This is by far not a complete list, that is something I am slowly building up as I sort through my papers and textbooks.
-last updated 9/13/16