Interested in KBox?
I am making a small number of KBox for interested boat-hackers. You can order yours on the tindie store. Supply is limited, put yourself on the "I want one" list to help me re-order the right number!
We are still working hard on the software but we anticipate that the first and most useful use-cases will be:
- Relay GPS and AIS information to your mobile devices (for example, an iPad running iNavX).
- Monitor your energy and display voltages and currents on your existing NMEA2000 equipment
- Record your boat position, and all its parameters (speed over ground, speed over water, heeling angle, apparent and true wind, etc) to an SDCard to replay the race at a later point.
However, because KBox is open-source, you can do a lot more things with it:
- Use KBox as a basic NMEA2000 to USB or Network gateway (for example, for SignalK development)
- Build an open-source autopilot and use KBox hardware as the main sensor and computer (we have extension ports to connect to the actuator)
- etc ...
KBox firmware overview
KBox is based on the Teensy 3.2 architecture and is compatible with the Arduino development environment. The WiFi module is an ESP8266-13 and is also programmed with an Arduino compatible SDK.
This project contains the source code for the firmware running on the host micro-controller (teensy-like Cortex M4 micro-controller) and the firmware running on the WiFi module.
Join the mailing list!
Please join the KBox-Discussion mailing list! This is the best place to ask questions and discuss KBox.