My last version of the 3d lidar scanner had a few significant problems that I've come up with fixes for. One issue was that the pitch motor needed to have a longer shaft added and once I finished there was too much friction and the new motor shaft started slipping. Another problem was that the yaw connection point was far too weak. Finally, the power supply was having overheating issues.
The new version uses a "field-goal" configuration with a stock Nema 17 motor on one side and a slip ring on the other side. This allows me to use stock components and reduces friction.
In addition, I'm now using S42B stepper drivers that mount on the back of the motors and allow precise control. This removes the need for me to populate a circuit board with motor drivers and allows me to spread out the electronics to reduce the chance of overheating.
For the yaw control I'm now using a 30mm shaft which is press fit into a substantial bearing. This should add the rigidity needed to the yaw axis that was completely missing in the last version.
Finally, I will be powering the device with an 18V off the shelf dewalt battery which will remove the need for a boost converter in the circuitry.
Today I finished printing the "field-goal". I need to convert the sketch of the yaw shaft and circuitry body to CAD still. It's going to take a while longer to complete, but this new version is substantially better planned out than the version 2.