I'm working on creating a test rig for the solenoid gimbal so that I can calibrate the program before putting it on an unrestrained rocket. First I had to consolidate all the electronics onto a perf board.
I started with this rat's nest:
And ended with this:
I fixed this to the gimbal with a transitional piece and some screws:
And I covered it with a shipping tube and a paper towel tube that I found:
Now I just have to add batteries and a way to suspend/restrain it, and I should be ready for the first test.
Adding in the mass of the batteries, the whole thing is almost 275g, weighing in at about 2.7 newtons.
This is a little more than double the recommended take off weight for this size engine.
However, looking at the time-thrust curve for the Estes C6 Engine, I should still have positive lift for the duration of the engine burn. It's not a huge amount, and won't be suitable for an actual flight. I'll definitely wanna go for a D, E, F, or even a G engine when I fly this unrestrained. But for testing purposes, it should be enough to help calibrate the gimbal.