Close

Updated TrillSat and SimtheoDecoder to Version 1.1

A project log for TrillSat

Texting Without Cell Towers, Power Grid, or the Internet: IoT meets AX.25 Aboard an Arboreal Space Elevator

Lee DjavaherianLee Djavaherian 08/25/2018 at 03:280 Comments

Ok, I made the first update to the TrillSat source code since it was published almost 3 months ago, primarily to add the new #Tethered Haptics Using Morse Pulses subsystem, and added it to the Files section.  The trillsat.c source is now dependent on (and performs a C include of) simtheo.h, my external Morse decoder module, and is now also dependent on eeprom.h (from the avr-libc project) for the haptic passcode storage.  The trillsat.c source also adds the appropriate defines, global variables, pin/interrupt/timer initialization; adds two ISR interrupt routines for Sawyer and Huckleberry, adds a new function called Process_Haptic_Command to perform the actual command processing, adds the EEPROM haptic lock routine, and it, along with trillsat_bot.py, adds the new XMPP and THUMP commands. 

They also temporarily disable the haptic system and reset the correct 16-bit timer prescaler during motor operations, but they do not yet tell Huckleberry to turn on the LED (in case it was grounding the MISO line which prevents hall-effect feedback during a non-haptic motor operation).  For now, I just control this manually using a new hucklight [1|0] command during testing.  And the BASH programming scripts for the two ATtinys for in-circuit programming were updated to compensate for the new haptic system running over the same line.

The simtheo.h C module is statically linked, compiled at the same time as trillsat.c.  In the future, I plan to clean up the module to allow it to be dynamically linked, but for now, I just wanted to make sure that all of the code was published to show how the THUMP system was implemented for a capstan cablebot.  I also updated simtheo.h to remove a small delay that was causing problems and to correct a typo in the README file.

The THUMP system can, of course, be implemented differently in different situations, depending on the type of craft or function it performs, but this is how I implemented it for TRILLSAT-1.

Discussions