Step 1: Acquaintance with main parts of the robot
First of all let’s get acquantied with main parts of the robot: Electronics, Mechanics, Mold, Software.
2.1.1. Bill of materials (BOM)
To make robot yourself you need:
- USB Nano V3.0 ATmega328 16M 5V Microcontroller CH340G board For Arduino = 1 pcs
- Wireless Serial 4 Pin Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module HC-06 Slave for Arduino DH = 1 pcs
- DC-DC Converter. LM2596 Step Down Module DC-DC Buck Converter Power Supply Output 1.3V-35V = 2 pcs
- MG996R Torque Digital All Metal Gear Servo for Helicopter Car Boat Model BE = 2 pcs
- Fuse, 2 A, 250 V = 1 pcs (I recommend to buy +1 pcs for change)
- Resistor, 0.5 Wt, 100 OHM = 3 pcs
- CONN JUMPER SHORTING, 2.54х8.5mm, 2 contacts = 2 pcs
- Power jack on the board, 2.1mm, 16V/1.5A = 1 pcs
- AC Adapter Power Supply DC12V 1-2 A, plug 5.5х2.1 = 1 pcs
for those who has a bit experience of soldering:
- A1) Prototyping Experimental 400 Contact Holes Solderless Breadboard Test Plate = 2 pcs
for those who can solder PCB:
- A2) Prototyping PCB Universal Board 70х90 Double-Sided Glass Fiber Prototyping PCB Universal Board = 1 pcs
- 1x 40Pin 40p Male IC Single Row Flat Header Socket 2.54mm PLS-40 Panel = 10pcs
- Hot Flexible 30AWG Stranded UL1007 Wire Cable Cord Hook-up DIY Electrical. outer diameter > 1,5 mm, inner diameter > 0,5 mm. Minimal length is 100 mm.
Microcontroller turns device into smart robot. Microcontroller makes decisions according with program’s algorithm. As for microcontroller board, we chose Arduino Nano. It’s a small, complete, and breadboard-friendly board based on the ATmega328. Bluetooth module is responsible for pairing smartphone and the robot. It provides communication. Power supply. Basically we use mains power adapter: 12V (SelfieBot Base DIY). If you need autonomous usage of the robot, use batteries: 2pcs of 3,7V. Two DC-DC converters are responsible for stable voltage power of electronic elements.
Mold is made of plastic PLA. We printed it with 3D printer WanHao duplicator i3. We offer you several complete 3D models, but you can create own mold of your robot.
To make mobile robot we use Mechanics. It consists of servos and metal couplings. Servos. We chose digital Servo TowerPro MG996r for its low price and sufficient characteristics. Servo receives digital signals from microcontroller. We recommend plastic gear to decrease noise. Also you can try stepper motors with encoder, with the characteristics not worse than Servo TowerPro MG996r.
In June 2016 we’ve got only Android-compatible application: “Droid”. Download Droid at www.endurancerobots.com (at the bottom of Robots->DIY SelfieBot webpage).