Note: This log entry is a living document. I'll be updating this post to reflect the current configuration as time goes on.. There will also be a log at the end of the post noting modifications to the log, etc..
This log entry will instruct you on building the Objective Lens Mount..
- 1. Needle Nosed Pliers
- 2. 1.5mm Hex Driver
- 3. 5/64" Hex Driver
- 4. Philips Screwdriver
- 5. ESD Style Precision Tweezers
- 6. Nitrile Gloves
- 7. White Cotton Gloves
- 8. KimTech KimWipes
- Printed versions of the following 3D Printed Objects from the gitHub repository:
- (1x) Optical Filter 522SP, 5mm X 40mm X 2.4mm thick
- (1x) Optical Filter, 550LP, 10.1mm dia. X 3mm thick
- (1x) DC 5V Stepper Motor
- (4x) M4 - 16mm Socket Cap Screws
- (8x) M2 - 12mm Socket Cap Screws
1. Print and clean up the plastic parts. Be sure to use the 3D printed part guidelines. All spurs and supports need to be cleaned as much as possible.
2. Gather the 550nmLP filter, the 522nmSP filter, the filter wheel, the filter wheel back, 8 of the M2 4mm screws, the 522nm mount cover, and the 550nm mount cover..
NOTE: WEAR THE NITRILE GLOVES AND THE COTTON GLOVES FOR THIS STEP. USE THE PRECISION TWEEZERS TO HANDLE THE 550NM LP FILTER. TAKE SPECIAL CARE NOT TO TOUCH THE SURFACE OF THE FILTER!!
3. Take the 550nm Long Pass FIlter, notice around the edge there is an arrow.. That arrow goes toward the back of the filter wheel.. You are looking at the front of the wheel here...Place the filter in the 550nm Long Pass Filter Mounting Hole..
4. Gently place the 550NM mount cover over the filter, and insert screws..
NOTE: You can remove the cotton gloves, but I recommend keeping the nitrile gloves on.
5. Gently tighten the screws..Do not over-tighten.
6. Gather the 522NM Short Pass Filter, four M2 4mm screws, the 522nm mount and the filter wheel with the 550nm Long Pass Filter installed.
NOTE: PUT THE COTTON GLOVES BACK ON
7. Notice the arrow on the 522NM Short Pass Filter.. This arrow also points to the back of the filter wheel.
8. Gently place the 522NM Short Pass Filter into the filter wheel mount. (Arrow points back!)
NOTE: You can remove the cotton gloves, but I'd still recommend keeping the nitrile gloves on..
9. Gently place the 522NM mount over the 522NM Short Pass FIlter, and gently screw it in place.
10. Gather the Filter Selector Assembly Back, the stepper motor and its pinion gear.
11. Attach the pinion gear to the stepper motor.
12. Insert the stepper motor into the Filter Selector Assembly Back..
13. Make sure it is seated properly..
14. Grab the two 608Z bearings, the Filter Selector Assembly Front and the back you just finished.
15. Gently insert the bearings into the bearing mounts..
16. Take the Filter Selector Assembly back with the stepper, pinion and bearing...and the filter wheel with the filters..
17. Place the filter wheel into the assembly.. The filters should be facing the front.. Don't worry about alignment at this point, we will cover that in a later configuration section.
18. Take the back of the assembly, the front and the M4 16mm screws..
19. Place the front onto the back of the assembly very carefully, and screw it together....
That completes this section! Congratulations!!
Set aside and move to next build!
You can close this tab or return to the build instructions here!
09.23.2014 - New Entry