Get the parts first.
Print out the CAD models, the base and the top clock face. We used white ABS since it has excellent colour translucency.
The LED rings were fitted first, then the pixels at 12 position were aligned. Hot glue was used to hold it in place.
After testing with a nodemcu board, the code was programmed onto an esp-01, it's pins were wired as the follows
1) Gpio0, Vcc, ch_pd, rst were connected to 3.3v
2) Gpio2 was connected to the data-in pin of the led ring with 24 leds. The data-out of this 24 led ring was connected to the data-in of the 12 led ring.
3) Gnd was connected to gnd.
4) The terminals of the battery were connected to the charger module, and also to the lm1117-3.3 regulator.
5) Vcc for the led rings and esp-01 were connected to output of the lm1117-3.3 regulator.