Welp, I made a rookie mistake. Was testing the device for a bit and it was all going great. Suddenly I hear a pop and the lights shut off. Whoops.
I was using the wall adapter for this, which was rated to 2A. I was powering about 10ft of LEDs, which at peak would draw more than 2A. Since this was a cheap adapter off ebay, it didn't last long. I hadn't bothered to cut down the strip to the size I wanted (and that was safe for under 2A!).
It's a real heartbreaker since it's pretty much ready to be installed. Any final touches will need to be done with my variable power supply again until I find a power supply with enough current output.
Anyways, here's a look at what the final product may look like, just need to make the hole for the sensor a bit bigger.