I'm still working on firmware, and am waiting for another (faster) PIC for my sensor and will report all that when I have some accomplishments to talk about.
Tonight, a good friend on IRC pointed me to a KickStarter project, the Water Hero, that is pretty much matches my project.
Well, kind of.
Let me say right up front, they have designed a very cool device!
There are a number of differences between their design and mine and it really doesn't meet my requirements, but it may yours.
- The Water Hero (WH) depends on WiFi from the sensor and talks directly to the internet. Mine talks to a base station.
- The WH has no local dedicated display, a feature that I believe is crucial for awareness and conservation.
- The WH is only suitable for indoors installation and virtually all water meters here are outside and underground. The KickStarter does say that an outdoors version is under development.
- The WH requires an AC outlet to plug in the power supply. (My sensor is solar powered)
- The WH requires you install an app to access the system, and they offer both a free and a paid 'premium' service to monitor your system. Again, no local dedicated display.
- The WH has an optional shut-off valve actuator. (very nice!)
- As far as I can tell, the WH is totally closed. Nothing "open" to it at all.
It looks like they've done some fine work there, and I hope their project succeeds. If their product meets your needs, I would encourage you to support them.
Several folks have asked if I am going to support their KickStarter.
Well ..... no.
I've already built one. :-)