This project started as a development system for roadway-entry safety. I have a blind turn out of my neighborhood with cars racing at high speeds from the traffic light one block away. I'd like to eventually setup a sensor to detect the presence and speed of vehicles approaching our driveway. A secondary application would be a miniaturized version on the flanks of my vehicle to cover my blindspots on the freeway.
The project started with the layout of two RF boards; one transmitter and one receiver with LNA and downconverter. A pair of patch antennas were also spun for experimentation. Unfortunately I'm not much of antenna designer yet so the antennas are embarrassingly bad and had to be replaced with off-the-shelf replacements.
Early Doppler experiments show promising results; the system is viable for traffic monitoring.
1. Hardware Bringup: Complete
2. Doppler Testing: Complete
3. Doppler Street Testing: Complete
4. LFMCW Range Testing: Complete
5. Antenna Redesign and Testing: Complete
6. Subsystem Consolidation and Redesign: Pending