This morning UPS dropped off our first two prototype boards. they're in good shape!
The badge is way too big.
If we release these things everyone is going to look like Flava-Flav with huge clocks around their necks. Unacceptable. We will redesign. and reduce the size at least 50% from 6.5" down to a respectable 3.5" or so. I drew this thing on a piece of paper and thought it would be fine, but now that it's in my hands I don't like it at all.
We got most of the badge right (!)
Nearly all of our subsystems are working:
- LDO - but maybe we don’t have enough power from USB to run off USB alone. right now the battery has to be there, or we will enter a crazy reboot loop with all LEDs on.
- JTAG header and programming -- I was really sweating this one but it works.
- FTDI chip and serial UART console.
- Power LEDs
- UART TX RX LEDs
- UART RF TX OK
- SD CARD ACT light OK
- MAYBE: Charging seems to work, but it's very, very hard to tell. I'm going to let it sit for the evening and see if it charges. The status LEDs may actually be backwards.
What's not working?
- The external radio clock (Y1) is the wrong part, it should have been a crystal. Instead, we ended up with a powered resonator which will not work at all.
- The radio circuit is a disaster (but we knew that.)
- Display, SD, and Touch - Wiring error on PTE19 has caused a massive failure on the display, which is probably not easily fixable. Marking that as not-connected on the board seems to fix our issue for now
- SCLK - One board is fine, the other board has a dead SCLK line. There is a break, somewhere between the KW01 and the rest of the system. I think Macrofab does continuity testing of their PCBs but I cannot explain this issue at the moment.
In all, about 18 mistakes to resolve in the next month or so. We'll get there. We even have some audio surprises in store (if we can get them to work.)