So I hauled a bunch of my stuff to my parents for the holiday, much to my wife's dismay. My goal was to see if I could get the motor spinning open loop control. I brought a wall wart that output 14V@0.5A and I used three 1k resistors as the load. I cycled through the commutation phases and could see some voltage on each resistor. I changed the delay to 1 sec from 100msec and I could see 14V jumping from phase to phase. I changed the wall wart for the massive 24v@20A supply and I verified that the 24V was moving correctly.
I changed the timing back to 100msec and attached the motor. The motor did not move so I measured the voltage between two of the leads. As I did this one of the drivers popped, thus ending my testing. I really wish I had a scope to verify the faster timing voltages. I might try to see if I can use one at work, after I swap out the toasted chip. I am at a bit of a loss by the driver fried, I wouldn't think that the gate of the FET is pulling very much current. I am also wondering if there is a problem with the motor. I got it for free and I am thinking of purchasing a small motor just to test and develop the code. One of the secondary goals is to create a motor profile that can be loaded based on the type of motor being used.