I've made a bunch of preliminary decisions:
- esp8266 + lipo charger + usb/serial converter as the 'brain'
- 4 way bus: i2c, power and ground to connect all modules
- attiny88 for the modules (cheap and supports hardware i2c slave)
- first module will be double push button encoders with led dials
- second module will be an lcd 2x16
- the sides of the box will be 20mm rexroth type aluminium profile, front and back will be laser cut & engraved acrylic, end plates will be wood, delrin, aluminium or acrylic.
- boards will be joined with a connector like this http://es.farnell.com/avx-interconnect/00-9159-004-061-916/card-edge-connector-open-ended/dp/2347864?CMP=i-bf9f-00001000
I want to use an lcd like this http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2021823.pdf?_ga=1.177301349.1169383904.1463992672
size is 85.0 x 32.6mm
or perhaps an oled.
I'd also like to have a moving coil type dial as a possibility:
which are 44mm square.