- Report wheel turns continuously
- Report "off wheel" activity via a PIR sensor
- Connect to the cloud and track with MÍOS app
- Fits in multiple cage types
- Battery life of >3 weeks between charges
- This project uses a Particle Photon, hall-effect sensor, and PIR sensor
- The housing is 3D printed and requires one skate bearing for the wheel
- The wheel counts turns each time a magnet passes the hall effect sensor
- The PIR sensor detects "off wheel" motion
- Both data streams are sent to Blynk
- Data connections are timed to save battery
Funding and terms:
This project was funded by the NIH Intramural Research Program (NIDDK). This project follows the terms and conditions of the MIT license (please see logs for complete license wording).
MÍOS was conceived by a team of researchers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and all app development was done by Blynk. While MÍOS devices and designs are open-source and free, Blynk is a "freemium" service and some features cost money to use. 100% of this money supports the business operations of Blynk. NIH, FDA, and members of the MÍOS team receive no royalties or payments from Blynk.