MARB will be equipped with a bunch of sensors to sense time, humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, ambient light, gas concentration, orientation and acceleration. So far I have tested a DHT11 based hygrometer, a TEMT6000 ambient light sensor and a MiCS-5524 based gas sensor.
The gas sensor can easily detect an open bottle of ammonia solution.
After tinkering a while with many different sensors, I decided to use for now following sensors:
- DHT11 breakout humidity sensor 20-80% (5% accuracy)
- BMP180 breakout barometric pressure sensor (300-1100 hPa, 0.03 hPa resolution)
- Dallas 18B20 breakout temperature sensor (-55 to +125 °C)
- TEMT6000 breakout light sensor (illumination Range: 1 – 1000 Lux, spectral response closely emulates human eye)
- DS3231 precision RTC breakout
- MiCS5524 CO, alcohol and VOC gas sensor breakout
- LSM303DLHC compass and accelerometer breakout
Resulting sensor module design:
3-D printed part in the mail: