Designing a "wearable watch" which contains multiple functions. Will it work, i have no idea. All functions are experiments. Every working aspect of the board is a milestone. The board will be designed with easyEDA designer. All documents are open source and are available at my project page at their website. links are added.
The following on board functions are supported:
-LED ring with 60 LED's
-2x Capacitive buttons
-Piezo tap sensor
-On board programmer
-Onboard charge controller
The milestones are defined as followed:
-Communication with the RS232 interface over USB.
-Burning a bootloader in the Atmega
-Programming the Atmega with the onboard RS232 interface
-Controlling the LED ring
-Controlling the OLED
-Trying some of the sensors
-more to follow....
Future designs may contain wireless connectivity but as of now this is not within the scope of the project
The waiting is over, the second batch has arrived and it looks good. This time I actually added the planes and if all is well, within a few days the first LED should be blinking. If all is well ofcourse...... Still I have high hopes that at least the programmer and the burning of the bootloader will be a lot easier then a year ago when if had to rewire every mistake i made by hand. Because this is actually the 3rd batch of PCB's some issues have already been resolved. For the people who wonder why there is a hole in the PCB, this hole should contain the "Piezo tap sensor" in the finished product. Because these sensors are fairly thick, it was sunk into the board to to reduce the overall thickness of the board plus components.
I'm sorry for the image quality. These pictures were taken in the middle of the night without proper light.
Alright, this is the first time i'm actually posting anything online about a hobby project. I figured the best place to start documenting my brainwaves and monstrosities would be on hackaday so lets go. One year ago I started my first watch project which stalled after tying to solder everything together. The QFN packages and bad board design made the board hard to assemble by hand. Multiple design failures and wrongly ordered components lead to the ending of that project. I still have some scrap boards lying around somewhere. maybe I will upload an image of my first PCB fail. To be honest the current project I have been working on is already running for a while. That's why the introduction with my goalds will follow in a later post. Let's get you up to speed where the project stands right now.
The design has been finished and the first batch of PCB's have been ordered and received. To bad that I forgot to draw my ground and powerplanes when generating the gerber files. It took an hour before understanding that nothing that was connected when debugging the boards. Sometimes it is worth looking at your files using a gerber viewer and finding out these fails before ordering a PCB. Oh well a new batch has been ordered and the components have been received. The boards will be at my doorstep within a week or two so we've got some time to kill.
The next post will contain a background story about the idea, the goals and an explenation about the design choices. greetz!