We asked people what they thought about their smart watches and this is what they came up with.
- “My smartwatch is just like my phone, why did I waste money for something that I already have. I expected my smartwatch to have extra features in it” - Mr. Rajesh, Self-Employed Entrepreneur
- “It’s difficult to navigate through the menu on such a small screen. I would opt for a smart watch with buttons on it for easier use.” - Ms. Lalitha, Fitness Freak
So we asked ourselves, how can we make smartwatches a better tool and a better user experience for the end customer?
Thus we conceptualized Xtencion, an intelligent wrist wear that has unparalleled functionality, improves the users’ productivity and efficiency while at the same time does not boggle the user with complicated user interfaces.
These 3D models represent the future DIY design of Xtencion. Up to Date we have built a working prototype to test out crazy ideas. The picture below depicts the future non-DIY design of Xtencion. One of the features of the design below is that the watch links are embedded with tiny batteries.
The Design Methodology:
- The Xtencion band is equipped with a SHARP IR distance sensor to detect the different swipe gestures and a 6DOF gyro module to read the wrist gestures. The band recognizes either individual gestures or a combination of them.
- After recognition it either navigates through the menu or triggers an external event based on the patter of the gestures. This way we provide a hassle free usability for the user.
- Since it is powered by a ESP8266 connecting to other IoT devices is a breeze. The band controls other devices through a third-party service called IFTTT.
- IFTTT (stands for If This Then That) is a platform that enables interface between various devices. We plan to deploy Xtencion “Recipe” Blocks on their platform so that the user can customize external events. This way we provide extended functionality to the user.
- The band is powered by bendable lithium ion batteries which ensure maximum packing density and greater battery capacity. Such use of technology eliminates the biggest drawback of current smartwatches.
- It is gesture controlled, so no more tapping the wrong thing and wasting time going back and attempting to tap again.
- It will reduce battery usage by nearly 50% by removing the touchscreen. The device will, additionally, use low power sensors.
- The device will have virtually an infinite number of features since new gestures can be added and each gesture can be customized.
The 3P Design Specifications:
- Power: It will last about 2 days without needing a charge according to theoretical calculations.
- Precision: It has a range of 4 cm to 30 cm with an accuracy of 1mm.
- Protocols: The device uses HTTP to communicate with IoT devices and uses Bluetooth to get location data for location based gestures.