When I first saw pixel I was mesmerized by the simplicity and potential of the entire framework, I could imagine kids and adults making retro games and remixes of popular games they grew up with. I also thought it'd be cool to allow people to make small games and allow them to play them on an arcade cabinet. While I know that there are many standards and an active arcade communities out there. As someone who grew up without access to arcade games, I figured that I would make my own remixed version of an arcade cabinet that can run these remixes games.
So I got the GamePad PCB two weekends ago and I’ve putting off the soldering and test for a bit and finally got to it this weekend. It looks like all the button clicks and whatnots are working well and I just need to wait for the powerstrip PCBs to arrive now. Here’s the demo game in Pyxel working in conjunction with the joystick.
Now all that’s left is the launcher for starting/selecting the games and crimping in all the power connections.
So I had to change my initial design of the arcade joystick controller to from a low side switch to a highside switch to make it work correctly. I think I will need to create a separate reference diagram for the adafruit folks to add to their website.
Finally I decided that I'm going to crimp the joystick cable into a JST XH 5 pin so that it becomes easier to assemble on the board and because its easier to get the housing components.
In short I didn't do much work to make this happen it was the creator Pyxel who in his/her infinite wisdom decided to replace glfw as a dependency and decided to make sdl2 the base framework. The main trick to get half decent frame rate was that I killed the entire desktop manager beforehand.
So I finally pieced together the full cabinet. It seems like there are more things I need to address but for all intents and purposes, I’m done with the mechanical design.
I had to redo the speaker panel so that speakers are not vertical but horizontal. Though the speakers are smaller in dimensions, the thickness is larger. Caused the controller button to clash with the speaker box. Personally I like the newer orientation of the speakers, the older design kinda looked yucky.
I think there’s definitely a bunch of things I’d like to change for version 2. Like the way I need to assemble this, right now it’s not super great I had to glue individual pieces one by one that was kinda annoying.
So after a months of waiting for the parts to come, I finally got fed up with the wait times and I ended up ordering a replacement speaker from Adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1669). I'll be wrapping up the construction tonight and then proceed to finishing up powerboard and the faux keyboard setup.
So the project has been on a standstill for the past couple months because, my part orders didn't get processed through the university. But I've also been having a tough time figuring out what cables are being used for all the boards. Because most of the documentation for the Adafruit parts have been in chinese, it was impossible to find the specs so I ended up getting the Dirty PCB Cable Sample pack: https://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/details/ian/3841/dirty-cables-sample-kit-v1-0 for this and future projects.
I finally got the delivery last week (8 week delivery wait) and so now I'm checking against the other parts now.