Alright, just a quick poke for all you guys somehow still following along.
Over the last few days I have been refining the whole game control system a little, there certainly were some bugs to squash but nothing out of the ordinary.
I also took some time to set the new Raspberry Pi up properly - and I might do an instruction on how to get a nice WiFi AP setup with internet forwarding, so you guys can do that stuff yourselves.
The important news here is that the new Raspberry Pi + better WiFi stick have massively improved the connection stability of the Lasertag, which is a huge relief and improves the gameplay!
There has also been a huge bunch of extra code documentation that I did, and now all the important Ruby library functions have been documented with YARD. I've also pushed a first version of the libraries onto Rubygems, who has been refusing to build my documentation ever since, so I can't show it off for now :C
Seriously, if you know how to fix this, please tell me.
Oh, also, a friend offered me to mill the vest detector PCBs, and they're on their way right now. They already look great, and will be much better to use than hand-wired breadboard stuff and eeeeh >->
And as one last thing:
We switched the IR Protocol around a little, to a DIY library we call "XIRR". The nice thing is that we already have AVR code ready for another project - IR Bacon.
We already reprogrammed them to be small positioning beacons for the lasertag game, which opens up a TON of possibilties, from Payload and Capture-point games to Kill and Revive zones or "safe" regions to play in.
It's awesome, and I will definitely show those new features off when we complete the vest sensor boards :>