• Not another PCB.

    greg davill09/09/2018 at 07:09 0 comments

    The thought of shelving this project for 8 weeks waiting for the FPGA left me discouraged. What if after 8 weeks I assemble the board and it doesn't work?

    I decided to create a new PCB, this time using an ECP5 in a larger 381 ball (17x17) package.

    Read more »

  • Performance, a new camera, another revision?

    greg davill09/09/2018 at 06:36 0 comments

    With v1_01 working. I now had a better understanding of working with verilog, and a much better understanding of LUT utilization and timing closure. I'd managed to fit in a hardware SPI module, with DMA. with these improvement and the system running at 24MHz (max frequency of my design typically sat around 30MHz for the iCE40HX) the 160Kb images from the camera took around 300ms to capture. Not bad!

    But the iCE40HX8K, while a great little chip is too small and under powered to really push this project to the next level. I had designed the PCB to accommodate a 4bit SD interface, I had wired CMD,DAT0-3,CLK to the FPGA. Using SPI mode was easy to validate that the hardware was working. But for a notable performance increase I'd need to switch to a real SD controller. The controller I wanted to work with (https://github.com/mczerski/SD-card-controller) did not fit in the remaining space of the iCE40HX8K.

    Around this time I was contacted by GroupGets. a distributor of the FLIR Boson. They were very impressed with the work I was sharing on twitter, and donated a Boson 640 for me to test with and ensure everything worked.

    This Boson 640 is a beast! 640x512 pixel resolution, 60Hz update rate, and this has the widest angle lens: 95 degree FOV.

    Unfortunately the added pixels (4x an many!) and the added frame rate means this camera uses a 27MHz pixel clock. This did not play well with my 24MHz capture hardware. I needed to rebuild it. Better, faster....(stronger?)

    Read more »

  • Prototypes 1,2,3...

    greg davill09/09/2018 at 04:29 0 comments

    I had mentioned in the last log that I created the footprint wrong for the HyperRAM device. Well my first bosonFrameGrabber PCB had the same errata.

    Read more »

  • Project Goals and Motivation and Background

    greg davill09/09/2018 at 03:44 0 comments

    At my day job a few years ago I designed a reasonable small product that attaches to the back of a FLIR Tau2 thermal camera core. The product takes the digital video stream from the camera and saves this information to an SD card, it also included an ethernet 100MB/s interface. Since the Tau2 is a small camera, so the electronics in this product is made up of a "stack" of boards.


    The Tau2 outputs a 14bit video stream of it's 640x512 pixel array. This stream needs to handle upto 60Hz on some product variants, so it features a 27MHz pixel clock. In order to ensure a frame from the camera was successfully captured I designed in enough memory to fully buffer a frame (> 640kb). It's design was based around an ARM M7 microcontroller. Utilizing external DDR memory and it's included 14bit Digital Camera Module Interface (DCMI).

    At the time I knew this was the perfect application for an FPGA, but having no hands on experience with them I decided it was too risky at the time.

    Read more »