01/01/2019 at 05:26 •
The box was so successful that it was requested to be used in an immersive, theatrical puzzle show involving escape room elements as well as live actors.
The box by itself was a little underwhelming for the show, so we found an old Korean karaoke machine from the 80s. We gutted it, painted it, installed LED strip lights and placed the radio inside of the top compartment.
- Korean karaoke machine circa 1980s (as an enclosure for the box)
- Laser light boxes (blue and red) x 2
- added an additional 12v relay
Depending on which final code is entered, one of the two lasers with trigger (red or blue) as well as the smoke machine hidden in the bottom compartment.
09/26/2018 at 04:56 •
I chose a yellow color for the LED and an eerie static sound for the default standby mode. The switch at the bottom acts as the "enter" button once all three dials in play are set. When the switch is flipped the LED will turn either RED or BLUE depending on which team's code is entered. A nice sonar blip sound plays upon each LED flash.
The winning code was entered! A recorded message plays through the speaker, the light turns on and the smoke machine is activated!
09/26/2018 at 04:55 •
Everything crammed into the box. Probably should have spent just one more hour making it less of a rats nest. The party light ended up taking more room than anticipated. I added a mirror to the inside of the lid for extra party light action.
09/26/2018 at 04:52 •
Initial testing of the potentiometers and entry codes.
The guts of the box ready to be installed. Here are the three potentiometers, the switch, and servo connected to an Arduino Uno with an MP3 Music Maker Shield via the proto perma breadboard.
09/26/2018 at 04:46 •
While broken, the radio was in very good condition.
Didn't anticipate the gear and pulley system connected to the two major dials. This would prove to be one of the most difficult parts of the potentiometer retrofit.