- Unsure of how to perform your Sega Mega Drive / Genesis chipmusic live?
- Tired of dragging your laptop to live shows to play chipmusic?
- Always wanted to make your chipmusic performance more dynamic?
- Do you want a way to showcase your live Sega Mega Drive / Genesis music to the world without just pressing ‘Play’?
Then VGX Live is for you! We’re developing a brand new tool enabling you to play your Sega Mega Drive / Genesis live. Simply create your music in Deflemask tracker as usual, then add in loop point commands to divide into blocks. Export your music as a VGM file and using our super simple tool, create a ROM with one or many VGM files ready to perform a live set. VGX Live can be used standalone with either one or two joypad controllers and without any need for a laptop. Features include seamless skipping between non-consecutive loops, muting/unmuting instrument channels on the fly and a track display and selection interface. In addition, if you want to have greater control and versatility and experience the true awesomeness of VGX Live, you can use a first generation Novation Launchpad to control your music playback via a live performance-tested hardware interface based on the ubiquitous Teensy LC microcontroller. So what are you waiting for? Give it a go!
• Currently compatible with the original Novation Launchpad
• No laptop required!
• Open source software (Mega Drive / Genesis ROM builder + Teensy LC firmware)
• DIY-friendly hardware (Teensy LC + MiniUSB Host shield) - program your own Launchpad layouts on Teensy - program your own alternative controller input sources on Teensy
• Single cable into control port 2 (verified compatible with Sega Nomad)
• Channel grid, block selection and track selection visualized on the Sega side
• Synced button presses and button lights on the Launchpad side
• User-friendly ROM builder with VGM file input
• Independent muting/unmuting control of every channel (FM + PSG)
• Queued mute/unmute synced to block start position
• Instant mute/unmute via Function button or Execute button
• Mute/unmute all; separate mute/unmute FM or PSG
• Supports user-defined loop points for blocks of patterns
• Loop blocks assigned to separate pads for easy queuing
• Next/Previous loop block selector
• Track name selector (track names extracted from GD3 tags)
• Next/Previous track selector
• PCM sample support (compatible with Deflemask, 32kHz sample rate)
• Low latency sample pad triggering (at 32kHz)
• Note trigger pads (selectable scale)
• MIDI IN to allow the use of other controllers