I built this script as part of a summer camp i taught this summer. We had 2 weeks with 18 kids and i want them to walk away with an awesome project. I also wanted them to be able to customize their robots and make them unique. I also had less than a month to make 18 of the kits, and design it, i knew i had to work fast.
I started in BowlerStudio and created a new groovy script. In the script i created LenghtParameters for all of the measurements i wanted to be able to change on the fly. I then used those measurements, and constants based on them, to construct all of the geometry of the head. I made the pieces one plate at a time, using the interconnection pieces as cutouts for the next plate. This ensured that each plate would make the exact fitting hole in the corresponding plate in exactly the same place.
I minimized the 3d printed parts to just the eye mechanism. It is a delightful mechanism. It is a 3d printed ball socket, that once assembled, prevents the ball from popping back out with no friction, and no friction to assemble. It als prevents z rotation using a radial axis pin constraint.
The whole pair of eyes worth of 3d printed parts takes about an hour to print, and a bed full of 12 eyes and ball sockets prints in 12 hours. The laser cut parts take about 11 mins to cut out of 3mm luan.
For Halloween this year, Technocopia Makerspace held a weekly event for the month of October. Over 5 weeks we would have one build day a week, and the plan was to do a set of Where The Wild Things are costumes. Another member showed up and wanted to do an Ork from Warhammer 40k, so I said "close enough!" and we added him to the group build. In addition i have been working on a hand puppet sized one so my other hand could have a mini one. The goal is to complete 3 wearable animatronic costumes, one mini one, and have them all done over 5, 8 hour days. Lets see how it goes!