- wide opening angle
- common package
- good availability
IrDA modules look interesting at first sight because they also include a receiver. They're expensive however. At least €4/pce. They also transmit on a shorter wavelength.
Selected part : Lumex OED-EL-1L2
- Viewing angle : +/- 30°
- Radiant intensity : 60mW/sr @ 50mA
- Wavelength : 940nm
- Max continuous current : 100mA
- Max peak current (1% duty cycle, <100µs) : 1A
- Alternative part number : Everlight IR7393C
- Digikey 67-1001-ND
The remote of the set top box uses the RCMM protocol. This protocol uses very short data bursts, many receivers can't cope with that. Vishay, which has the most extensive range of IR receivers allows to filter by IR-protocol.
- TSOP94336 : advised IR receiver by Vishay for RCMM.
- Supply voltage: 2.0 V to 3.6 V