Current issues I'm working on:
- SoftwareSerial seems to crash esp8266. Next iteration will use Serial0 for MIDI I/O, programming and Serial1 for debug messages.
- Hardware serial throws some rubbish when booting up - MIDI out should be "muted" on power up and enabled once firmware takes over.
Considering to implement in future:
- Small oled screen with 3-4 buttons for configuration and info.
- Use rechargeable battery as power source + some charging circuit with micro usb.
- Using wifi manager to set the password.
- Firmware updates:
- Alternative A: via USB .. With some kind of usb to serial chip.
- Alternative B: via MIDI .. Download to spiffs and then do the update.