Just a quick update, been super busy registering for my last semester at school. I have drilled the holes in the lid I am using as the base of the project.
It was easy to space them out, since there were eight equally spaced notches in the side of the lid to line everything up with.
I think this is the best place for the holes structurally, with the support of those ridges on the inside. Also I removed that rubber ring, it is not needed for my application.
I chopped one phone cord up and started pulling it through the holes while knotting one end to prevent slip through. Here is all I completed before decided to pass out tonight:
I'm going to try to get the skeleton constructed before the deadline to the contest. I know it isn't necessary, but I think it will look better.