I started by trying to package the peripherals as tightly as possible on the Pi. The largest obstacle was the USB WiFi adapter, which stuck out quite a bit more than everything else. I removed the USB jack with some side cutters and my iron and attached ribbon cable to the exposed data and power lines. I then removed the WiFi adapter from its plastic case and soldered the wires directly to its board. Next, I hot glued the Bluetooth module to the top of the Pi and ran more ribbon cable to the headers underneath. I also attached the two pushbuttons with slightly longer pieces of cable.
Space was already pretty tight and I still needed to attach the LiPo charger/booster. I did some quick measurements and printed out a support for the board. Took a few tries to get it right.
With everything mounted on the Pi, I printed off a quick base to see if my measurements lined up.
I now had a pretty good idea what the final x and y dimensions were going to be. I wanted to keep the camera as close to the size of the Pi as possible, which meant the large battery had to fit snugly underneath the bottom of the Pi. I printed out a few spacers so that the LiPo wouldn’t get punctured by any of the protruding headers. After that I printed off a few more test pieces to make sure that the Pi, battery, charging port, buttons, and switch would fit.
More test prints.
A cutaway of the case (saves time and printing material!)
Everything lined up.
With the bottom of the case completed, I now had to figure out a way to mount the camera module to the top. The previous camera case I had used tension to hold the camera via its four mounting holes however, I wanted something a little more secure. I designed platforms for the camera board to rest on which held the board in place with screws.
Recessed the screw on the front
The last step is putting the two halves together!