This is going to be a long and hard project - and a really expensive one too. I'm happy to take you along for the ride!
Portable Network Graphics (PNG) - 154.74 kB - 09/18/2019 at 03:57
Portable Network Graphics (PNG) - 51.80 kB - 09/18/2019 at 03:57
I have finished a very rough draft concept of a motion capture/tracking suit, included below, and I am also working on the same for the bot itself, while making more detailed and labeled drafts for both. F for front, B for back.
I am so sorry for such a long period of inactivity! I got caught up in a lot of things and I forgot all about this project.
Now with life stuff out of the way, I got way ahead of myself with all the different parts and functions when I barely even had a drawing. So, I am starting from scratch and actually making designs and blueprints like I should have at the beginning. Updates will not be very frequent, but I will try to keep posting somewhat regularly.
This project is not dead, and neither have I run out of steam. I have just have had a lot going on these past weeks and I have not been able to work on this project. Finals suck. This summer when I am done with my classes there will be some major progress. Again, the project is not dead, shelved, or cancelled, and neither have I run out of ideas, steam, or creativity. This project is still going strong, just other stuff has been happening.
I promise I will get things done in these next two weeks. I have decided to leave every version of the bot uncovered, and then make a special shell for each one. The first shell that I will be making for this project will be Gray Fox (The Cyborg Ninja) from Metal Gear Solid. I have been a fan of the specific game and entire series for years, and I would like to pay homage to the series with this shell. I highly recommend the series if you have not heard of it already. Don't worry, this will not be taking time away from the rest of the project, it will be completed after the actual robot is complete, or at least the first version of it is. I will also be taking suggestions for shells for future versions. Again, this is just a little add-on, not taking time away.
I have some large changes to how this project is going to work:
First off, I am not sure if i am going to be able to add an exoskeleton feature in this version of the project (more on that later). The process for converting the bot into an exosuit without removing anything for changing operations is too complicated and unimportant in this version.
That leads me to my second point, This project will be done in different versions, each one better and more advanced than the one before. This way it is easier to update the project until it reaches a certain point.
Okay, now on to the updates!
I am cutting the frame for the limbs and digits these next two weeks, and I am getting the material for the torso and head. Also, I am testing out the camera-VR headset system these next few weeks as well.
I have decided to use a motion capture system for the robot, instead of trying to create a motion tracking system from scratch. Lets see where this goes!
I thought that this was published when this project was published, but I guess it was not.
I would like to give credit to Paul Crouch. His Droidbot 07 gave me the inspiration for this project, and I strongly advise you to check out, follow, and like his project. Paul Crouch, if you read this, thank you for making such a amazing project that inspired me so much.
I want to start off by saying sorry for being inactive. I am taking classes and this project will be completed, but it is not the only thing in my life.
I have completed the 3-D digital model, but the application I used is not compatible with 3D printers or any type of metal cutting, bending, shaping, shaving, etc... machinery, and I want to give that option, so if you know of an app that is compatible with this kind of stuff please post it in discussions or email me at the address in the description.
Thank you all for following the project! It makes me feel much better that people are actually interested in what I am trying to do, and remember, if you have questions, comments, and advice, please post it in discussions, write a comment, or email me. Again, thank you all!
Sorry for the inactivity guys! So far for research I have decided on electric motors for movement, mostly because hydraulics and pneumatics are more expensive than the budget I have set for this project. I have also determined the body shape for the remote-controlled portion of the project. I will upload those files as soon as I convert my drawings into a digital 3D model. I still need to figure out how the exo-suit transition will function, as well as design it. I also have tons of aluminum tubes that I am going to try to make a prototype out of.