Close

Vectored Interrupts are Now a Thing

A project log for Yet Another m68k Homebrew

A Motorola 68k homebrew on breadboard, this time with a 68010 running at 8MHz

Ross BamfordRoss Bamford 06/18/2019 at 08:020 Comments

In my last log, I talked about how I was getting interrupts to work, but that I hadn't yet made them work properly. It appeared that, no matter what the interrupt source in the MFP it would always present $FF as the vector during IACK. This was especially strange because the vector base set in the MFP's VR register is $40, so where the $FF was coming from was a mystery.

I suspected my DTACK generator wasn't robust enough as it didn't take IACK into account, so my first step was to redesign the DTACK generator to take that line into account. No EAGLE schematic yet but in Logisim the design looks like this:

This also adds in a way to generate the MFP's DS signal during IACK since the MC68010 doesn't appear to assert LDS during this time, and without DS the MFP won't generate DTACK.

This improved things somewhat, but it still wasn't working. Breaking out the probe and looking at the data lines during IACK was telling:

A glance at the mess that is D0 (and to an extent D1 and D3) told me what the problem was - I know the bus doesn't float at this point (especially because it's still not stable after the MFP asserts DTACK), so this can only be contention.

Sure enough, further tracing revealed that, due to the design of the address decoder, the ROMCS lines also get asserted for a short while during an IACK cycle. This is because I didn't gate the address decoder off with anything which, while not exactly efficient, was good enough at the time. Gating it off with AS wouldn't help, as the CPU asserts AS during IACK. I realised I could gate it off with the inverted IACK signal from the new circuit from the shot above.

That looked much better:

Nice clean edges, and tracing all the data lines showed the MFP was putting 0100 0101 on the bus, which is $45, exactly the right vector for the MFPs Timer C interrupt.

A quick fix in the software to put the handler on vector $45, and all is working perfectly. Just need to tidy it up on the board and wire it up correctly, and I can move on to the software support for the interrupts. Currently it's just thrown together on an extra board, and looks like this:

Discussions