In my attic at my new place sat an old fan on what looked to be an older chair. I love old fans and fixing things so I knew this would be a fun project.
At first I plugged it it expecting either the breaker to flip or it not to work. I really didn't expect it to work. It was in horrible shape. After taking it apart I saw several points of malfunction starting from the old switch all the way up to the ac input for the stator. I reworked all the wiring in an attempt to fix it and after about an hour of carefully removing old chunks of cast like cloth I was able to reveal 5 wires that needed repair. After I soldered my new ac line to the coils for the motor I plugged it in and it started to hum which was enough for me! It worked!
The rest of the restoration was purely cosmetic. I stripped all the nasty yellow lead paint off down to the bare metal using chemical stripper, wire brushes and acetone. After it was bare I decided to paint it a nice mint greenish blue.