ESPboy is science, technology, engineering, and mathematics [STEM] learning platform which encourage and enhance creativity, imagination, and ingenuity through project-based learning and reverse engineering.
It's a fantastic experience to assemble the ESPboy together with your child. It's better to play with the gadget made by dad and play the dads games than stick on the soulless smartphone. Later your child could make own games and show them in school or university. You can not only make and play games, you can make any fully functional gadget in a minute with additional modules, play with it, understand the way of work, modify it and create the new one!
It's not about gaming!
It's about fun engineering education and creativity :)
Simple schematic (for detailed schematic, ESPboy+casing PCBs and Gerber files please check project page at www.easyeda.com)
Connecting the original modules to the ESPboy's header and updating software through WiFi, you'll get fully functional gadget in a minute (LORA messenger, weather station, GSM phone, FM radio, MP3 player and more)
Play retro Chip8/Superchip games
Play retro ZX Spectrum 48k games
Listen the portable FMradio, MP3s or WiFi radio with ESPboy modules
Listen the retro chip synth music with DAC module
Write programs or chat in messengers using keyboard module
ESPboy has WiFi onboard to:
- Make your own firmware in a few minutes online with WiFI-IoT.com and then upload it directly through WiFi. No wires, no IDEs, no compilers.
- Download apps and retro games form the Web and play thousends of CHIP8/SCHIP and ZX Spectrum 48k games
- Write you own games with Little game engine or ESPiCo game engine with PICO8 API
- Surf the web with an old school browser
- Use messengers for communication - Twitter for example
- Connect ESPboy with your mobile phone: RemoteXY, Blynk
- Transmit IoT telemetry data to the cloud and make automation with Thingspeak, HiveMQ, CloudMQTT, NarodMon, MajorDoMo, ThingerIO, Google cloud IoT, dweet.io, Temboo, Xively, IFTTT online services.
- Update firmware Over the air
- Transform ESPboy to the WiFi router/repeater, GPS tracker with distance control, WiFi online radio
- and much more...
- ESP8266 microcontroller (80/160Mhz 32bit Tensilica Xtensa CPU and 4/16mb RAM) on the WeMos D1 boards MINI or old PRO
- WiFi connection for multiplayer, communications, online cloud services data transfer, telemetry transmission and “over the air” updates
- OLED 0,96'' 128х64 bw display or/and 1,44'' TFT 128х128 color display
- 8 buttons
- MCP23017 i2c driven gpio extender with 7+1 free pins on the extension slot
- MCP4725 i2c DAC to smooth drive TFT's LCD backlit
- RGB WS2812B Neopixel smartled with data pin on the extension header for connection of any numbers of additional Neopixel LED arrays
- High-quality transistor driven speaker or simple buzzer
- 20pin extension slot for sensors and actuators (DC, i2c, UART, SPI, analog A0 gpio, 8 gpios of MCP23017, LEDs line pin)
- GROVE sensors and NCD.IO sensors support or almost the same but a few times cheaper at Aliexpress.com
- 30х70х15mm size overall without casing
- Battery keeping your ESPboy on the high run for about 8 hours (using sleep mode periodically waking up just to measure and send data, it can run for years without any recharging) and it could be charged through a micro USB B port (like a regular phone. :)
- Arduino IDE compatible with almost all its libraries
- Little game engine or ESPiCo game engine with...