• Now Works in Bright Sunshine!

    Tegwyn☠Twmffat05/14/2019 at 09:07 0 comments

    After adding about 1,000 'labels' as described in the previous log, rather surprisingly, the detection now works very well in bright sunlight with strong shadows:

    It can be seen that the blue detection boxes are tighter on the plants than before. Here's the training graph, 4 hours on AWS Px2 xtra large:
    It does not look particularly impressive, but the training did seem to need 300 epochs to add the new features. Next step is to upgrade the camera to Logitech Brio 4K, which has 4x the pixels of the C930E and test on the WEEDINATOR robot.

  • Labels / NOT / Images !

    Tegwyn☠Twmffat05/13/2019 at 11:50 0 comments

    It's all about the number of labels, not the number of images. A proportion of the images should be close up, high resolution, but, quite possibly, a large number can be lower resolution, so I decided to include photographs of the seedlings in groups of 9 as below:

    This reduces image processing times in that we get 9 labelled objects for one cropped photo and labeling itself is quicker as 'selecting image time' is reduced.
    The new, lower resolution images can now be uploaded to DIGITS and we can test the deployment success on the actual seed beds as before and check for false positives etc.

  • First Real Time Deployment

    Tegwyn☠Twmffat05/10/2019 at 14:40 0 comments

    On a relatively small dataset of just 2064 images, we're already getting good results detecting swede plants. The boxes are not tight on the crops yet and this can probably be cured by adding a load of null images of the soil. Shadows are also a problem and additional images will probably be added with shadows to counter that.

  • First Training Results

    Tegwyn☠Twmffat05/09/2019 at 18:35 0 comments

    After uploading 2067 image sets to AWS, training results look very promising, with good convergence at 100 epochs. Total time to rain = 2 hours. I took the trouble to photograph the swedelings at different ranges, so that some will have intricate detail, whilst others will not.

  • First Seedlings Planted

    Tegwyn☠Twmffat04/21/2019 at 18:05 0 comments

    350 swedelings have been planted. The weather is dry and hot. Each plant is exactly 11" apart to match the weeding pattern of the robot. A giant wooden set square and carefully placed string lines are used for positioning.


    Next to plant are onions - something more challenging for the computer vision.

  • Eradicating Straw

    Tegwyn☠Twmffat04/18/2019 at 12:31 0 comments

    From experiences using computer vision last year, some of the cameras got very confused by bits of dry vegetable matter, particularly long thin bits, or 'straw' lying on the surface of the soil. The previous log shows a very scrappy plot, mainly due to this straw being turned over near the surface rather than buried. A pass with the plough turns the soil over to about 8" depth and should help bury the rubbish. The test plot is now left to dry out and any remaining weeds to get blasted by the strong sunlight we're getting at the moment:

  • Test beds start to be prepared

    Tegwyn☠Twmffat04/16/2019 at 11:11 0 comments

    The 2019 planting season has started!

    This patch was rotovated with the tractor and has grass and weeds drying out on the surface in the sun. It certainly looks a bit scrappy at the moment, but after waiting for another week, it can be processed once more to get a nice fine tilth. Meanwhile, some of the crops themselves are being reared in cells in the glasshouse: