Since our sharp left turn last month, we've been heads down working out a prototype. We took advantage of the awesome folks at MacroFab and had a PCB made. Then ... of course ... we realized the mistakes we made on layout and had to hack it a bit (well, a lot). This is how it looked going into our first test.
Big picture - this PCB contains a few parts.
- High-voltage high-power AC: big fat relays, big fat traces (2oz / 3mm), and lots of nothing (large spacing) to prevent arcing or shock.
- High-voltage high-power DC: we're testing some ideas for a high-power-density DC source (see previous post). You definitely don't want to touch this part
- Low voltage controls: galvanic isolation is a big deal so we've isolated all low-voltage stuffs and kept it simple. Digital controls but it's all logic - so software or firmware.
Next it's time to turn it on!