DCC recorders are complicated devices. But the service manuals and datasheets that are available online give great insight into how a DCC recorder works in general. They also give many subtle hints about how we could teach them new tricks.
Here's a list of the things that I want to make my recorders do:
- Extract text information such as song titles
- Extract audio in PASC-encoded format
- Store a cassette dump on an SD card inside or outside a recorder
- Play a dump file as if it's a cassette
- Record a dump file to a cassette
It will take a lot of effort to do all this, but I'm pretty sure the information to accomplish it is all publicly available. What I first need to do is figure out some details about how a recorder works, and find a way to improve it.