Close

The tedious stuff.

A project log for FilaMecanum

3D printed hub, filament tires, Mecanum motion.

Daren SchwenkeDaren Schwenke 05/17/2019 at 22:000 Comments

Soldiering along printing all the various parts for four wheels. Four rims done, four output ring gear hubs done, three housing ring gears spec'd to fit my motors here, done.

I ran out of Aquanet and tried to substitute Suave with terrible results. Off to the store to buy the cheapest hairspray known to man, which also happens to be the best at bed adhesion.

<EDIT>  Done with all 8 ring gears (4 housing gears, and 4 rim gears).  All are acceptable quality with decently accurate gear profiles, and I did it using a 0.4mm nozzle size.  I'm glad this part turned out actually.  I originally designed this for a 60 tooth ring gear, and mistakenly left this at a 72 tooth ring gear for the final version.  That is a little too small of a tooth profile for a 0.4 nozzle.

Moved on to the sun gears.  Suddenly, this got a lot harder.  First I moved to a slower speed, then a lower layer height, then more/less cooling... then...

I switched the nozzle out for a 0.2mm one.  That should make most everything easier.  It did, but I'm still getting some artifacts in the prints.

I think I'm now over-extruding just a little, and perhaps I'm getting a little too hot for the reduced diameter.  Given the speed this gear will be working at, it really needs to be basically perfect.

Working on it. 

Little cooler, slower, and with less cooling print of the sun gear in progress.

Um.. nope.  I was over-extruding, a little too fast, and with too much cooling.  Now they are strong and look perfect again.  Three to go...

</EDIT>

Discussions