OK, so three weeks ago I said I had a chopped / hacked / optimised Sawppy power unit under development in OnShape. Well, I'm finally done.
For those not following closely (most?), I figured I could afford to optimise the power unit a bit, safe in the knowledge it was unlikely to require significant future modification, regardless of whatever else I end up doing with the rover. Thus I've spent a bit of time pondering the power supply set-up in order to satisfy my overly-finicky sensibilities.
Quick list of mods to the OS (Original Sawppy) power panel & battery tray.
- spacers either side of the tray to keep the battery centred and aligned
- integrated battery connector socket in the floor of the tray
- recessed, panel-mount fuse holder on the power panel face
- next size down voltmeter unit
- voltmeter wires exchanged for pins so as to accept the battery balance plug
- mostly hidden cable conduit in battery tray base
- terminal block mounted on back side of battery tray
End result is a power unit that can be easily disconnected and quickly dismounted from the rover body. Pretty stoked with it. A nice example of what I'd suggest was fruitful pondering. Maybe it took too long, but that's fine.
Next sub-project is mounting the RCU components (pi, buslinker, tx) within the body of the rover. I already have some ideas there, but I'm sure more will come as I periodically stare at it intently whilst mumbling to myself at appropriate intervals.
Still waiting for my extra link cables from China...
Pics or it didn't happen: