On a whim the other day I stumbled upon the Adafruit page for the MCP9601. In there they mentioned trying to change the frequency of the I2C to 20k if not using SAMD. So I did and I was able to get the thermometer to work. Then I was baffled for a while on why I couldn't get the temperature to work if I put the motor board on. Turns out there was an I2C address conflict. I added a drop of solder to fix that and, viola! It would all work! I might publish a video some time in the future.
Now that this is working, I can FINALLY start to make this work for me.
Initial next steps:
- Get Wifi connecting
- Send temperature via MQTT
- Send Motor status via MQTT
- Figure out how to attach the fan to the smoker
- Develop a fan-speed to temperature algorithm
- Test algorithm without food
- Test algorithm with food