Manufacturing processes were narrowed down to:
- Acrylic cutting and engraving
- 3D printing
- Gluing and screws fastening
The only process I did not entirely like for this project was 3D printing. Mostly because this is supposed to be part of a quick workshop and if you have done 3D printing you know how much of a mood killer it can be to wait 3 hours for a tiny-yet awkwardly oriented part on your printer. But the motion detector system needs a component that blocks the LED from the sensor up to a certain distance so with no other practical alternative, let us plan for printing in three dimensions.
There is a rough first sketch of the lamp. The base did not look stable enough, and the shape was odd. Still talking about the base, we went for a sturdier feel to it, a more geometric, kind of predictable-yet reassuring shape, and a little elevation which gives it a nice shadow and depth, plus increases stability. Batteries ended up fixed to the back.