• CAD and Cutting

    Andrew Cooney09/28/2019 at 18:53 0 comments

    After disassembly and sorting I had to take some measurements.  The goal was to put the clock face in CAD which would allow for me to plan the clock face.  Foolishly I tried making these measurements with a tape measure and I quickly found how inadequate it was for the task.  I borrowed some calipers and I found a mechanical drawing of the LED strip and I was set.  Using my drag knife cutter I fabricated the template and diffuser.

    A test fit showed the template was a success but the diffuser had to get bigger. That will have to wait as I am itching to cut and wire.

  • Scavenging

    Andrew Cooney09/15/2019 at 23:03 0 comments

    After building the development rig it was time to crack open the donor clock and remove unnecessary components.  I saved the clock face, ringer assembly, and the button (which previously activated the light). The disassembly was my usual level of chaotic evidence below:

    I separated the wheat from the chaff, specifically tossing: the clock hands; the clock mechanism; and the battery compartment.

    The final collection of parts for reuse are shown neatly below:

    Thankfully there is sufficient space between the clock face and the glad to fit the LED strips with no new mechanicals. Next up: putting the clock face in CAD and planning the layout.

  • Early Steps and Missteps

    Andrew Cooney09/09/2019 at 01:41 0 comments

    I started with the assumption that I should use what I had, and this caused a few delays.  Specifically I had chosen a Nucleo board as the starting point for this project because I have familiarity with the processor line; but I do not have familiarity with the software.  I quickly discovered that many of the Arduino libraries I had used before were specific to AVR processors.  While many crosses existed there were not enough for me to build a complete project.  I decided instead to purchase an Arduino Nano because it had support for libraries I was familiar with.

    At this stage of the project I have working prototype software on the rig pictured below.  The following features are functional, but not fully documented:

    1. A serial parser is written and I can set the time via a computer.
    2. The RTC can be set and tracks time.
    3. Three functions turn the time into animations for the.
    4. Ring displaying the minutes.
    5. The tens digit.
    6. The seven segment display.

    A picture of the rig I was able to develop this on is shown below.

    See the latest code at: https://github.com/akcooney/HelloDoubleBellClock