I started with the assumption that I should use what I had, and this caused a few delays. Specifically I had chosen a Nucleo board as the starting point for this project because I have familiarity with the processor line; but I do not have familiarity with the software. I quickly discovered that many of the Arduino libraries I had used before were specific to AVR processors. While many crosses existed there were not enough for me to build a complete project. I decided instead to purchase an Arduino Nano because it had support for libraries I was familiar with.
At this stage of the project I have working prototype software on the rig pictured below. The following features are functional, but not fully documented:
- A serial parser is written and I can set the time via a computer.
- The RTC can be set and tracks time.
- Three functions turn the time into animations for the.
- Ring displaying the minutes.
- The tens digit.
- The seven segment display.
A picture of the rig I was able to develop this on is shown below.