been awhile

A project log for Custom Smartwatch

It displays time

Matthew James BellafaireMatthew James Bellafaire 02/24/2020 at 05:460 Comments

In the last 2 months the work on this project has not stopped, in fact quite a bit has been poured into getting a design working. I'm happy to report that the REV3 boards work! (yeah there was a Rev 2 that went completely un-mentioned). 

This project has been taxing on my free time, I really enjoy the challenge of it and the idea of the end result. However, I've made some fairly grave errors so far in this project. So far the progress on this project has been plauged by the UART to USB communication IC's I've been using. In the first revision the CP2102 seemed to fail due to reasons I couldn't determine (although I suspect they relate to soldering I never managed to get one to even enumerate on my computer). After the failure of the Rev 2 I did some redesigning, and used a new UART bridge and double checked my connections and design choices. The board was ultimately a failure, although it was a good step foward, Rev 2 was able to communicate over USB, however this was only after scraping off a few traces and adding some bodge wires. 

All and all though I'm happy to report that the 3rd revision does work. Credit where it's due I borrowed a bit of a design by mike rankin ( The current 3d printed case is pretty rough (everything looks cooler in CAD) and will most likely be replaced in the next day or so. 

I have some software written and a decent framework thought out, but overall most of the code is still unwritten. I've also begun work on an android app to communicate between the smartwatch and my phone. 

For anyone interested all the files for this project are available on github at:

See you in the next log!