Bringing a touch of "smarthome" into your own home is definitely on the do-to list for a maker. When it comes to smarthome I´m thinking more of a kind of comfort control. So I want to be able to switch a few lamps and get a simple notification like the weather forecast, not much more. In order to realize this, I decided to use OpenHAB2. In this context, I also have the opportunity to deal more closely with a Raspberry Pi which I found very interesting because I have worked almost exclusively with microcontrollers so far. In order not to use the mobile phone every time or even to steer the smart home on the PC, I have searched for a handsome display variant and and found the Raspberry Pi touch display.
The display itself should be embedded in a wooden board. Likewise, hooks for keys should be placed on the wooden board too. So I always have a central place for my keys and home control.
After some "dry exercises" it was finally time: The Raspberry got its new task as a "Smart Home Central"...
Here are some steps I did to get everything up and running:
At first I build everything up and checked for electrical functionality
After this I used a a clean new install of "Raspbian Buster with desktop"
Manually created wpa_supplicant.conf because the Raspberry Pi 3A+ does't have a ethernet connection and I wanted to configure the Pi remotely (even if you are using a touch display, there is no virtual keyboard pre-installed) wpa_supplicant (German)
Installed remote desktop protocol:
sudo apt install xrdp
Installed virtuall keyboard
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install at-spi2-core florence
After this it was time to read out some temperature data from the BMP280:
The possibilities of the Raspberry Pis invite you to make the panel a bit smarter. I still have quite a few WS2812b LEDs available, as well as a BOSCH BMP280 sensor with which I can still realize a temperature measurement.
So having all the components together I cut out the cut-out for the display with a jig saw. After this I started designing all the needed parts with fusion 360 and printed them.