• It works!

    michal77703/29/2020 at 12:36 0 comments

    I closed the level-control loop and the PLL. After a few more small changes it works.

    I skipped the second part of output amplifier (was unstable) and the first part seems to work good enough. I also skipped amplifiers after VCOs and added attenuator after 2-2.5GHz pin attenuator (too much gain). Variable attenuators were too sensitive to tuning voltage (at certain frequency and tuning voltage) so I introduced some imbalance as workaround. Other changes are listed in changes_rev1 text file in the project zip.

    Recently I had chance to access a good spectrum analyzer for a while so I checked the results. The output signal looks bad (spurs, jitter), partially (mostly?) because I didn't even shield anything. Also I'm not 100% sure if everything is stable and not overdriven. The main tone is about 12dBm, it drops to about 8dBm close to 7GHz but in the remaining part of frequency range the output level is surprisingly flat (maybe about 2dB flatness below 6.7GHz). See the video in "files" (note 10dB attenuator was installed).

  • Some measurements

    michal77702/16/2020 at 20:41 0 comments

    1. VCOs - they work (after some tuning, and replacing one transistor)

    2. Amplifiers (2-3.5GHz in three ranges) - they are ok, VCOs output signal is higher than expected so maybe I need one instead of two amplifiers or I must add some attenuators

    3. Atternuators - they work, attenuation range about 10dB (not much but close enough to simulations)

    4. Doublers - they work (2nd harmonic much above the input), no accurate measurements done yet

    5. PIN switch - it does something but I can't test it separately with the current PCB layout (maybe I'll attempt it later)

    6. Filters - the lowest band looks fine, it's hard to test the others (measurements errors can be bad at so high frequency and currently I can't go above 6GHz)

    7. Output amplifier first part (3 stage) - not good, hard to test, seems to be unstable but possibly the problem is caused by test setup (depending of arrangement of coax cables connected to PCB it oscillates or not); possibly it can be useable after some tuning

    8. Output amplifier the second part (2 way) - part1+part2 output amplifier is much more unstable than the first part only so I'll skip the two-way amplifier for now; it's bad because of huge out of band gain, especially about 2GHz where it usually oscillates.

    So the plan for now is to put all together, without the final amplifier.

  • Assembly and first tests

    michal77701/22/2020 at 22:24 0 comments

    The PCB has arrived, now the prototype is mostly assembled.

    The fist impressions:

    - I checked one VCO and seems that it works surprisingly well

    - I also checked one 3-3.5GHz amplifier - it's fine

    - The wideband 4-7GHz seems to be fail. First of all it's unstable. Also it's quite difficult to make any meaningful measurements, even with a good VNA (I had chance to use it for a few days) - U.FL connectors are quite bad even at their specified 6GHz and currently I can't test the two stages of the amplifier separately because I don't have connector between them. The problems are likely caused by radial stubs which may couple to each other and also diverge from simulation.

    I hope to make more measurements soon.

    The main challenge will be to fix the 4-7GHz amplifier (at least up to 4-6GHz where I can currently measure it). The worst case will be to replace it with integrated gain blocks but they are noisy, expensive and boring.

  • fixed the attachement

    michal77712/18/2019 at 18:28 1 comment

    There was problem with the attachment but now you should be able to download it.

    If you want to open PCB you need the newest/unstable kicad (I'm beta tester).

    I also added photo with my experimental circuits (chalk overlay paper technology).

  • State of the project at the time of uploading here

    michal77712/17/2019 at 23:13 0 comments

    The design of the first version is finished and I'm waiting for PCBs.

    I expect that not all the circuits will work as intended and most of them will require some tuning. On the other hand I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make them to work because I did a lot of simulations and also some experiments. I tested some of the used (or similar) circuits, mostly using cheap Arinst SSA-TG spectrum analyzer (up to ~6GHz) and it looks like the simulations really help to roughly estimate how the real world hardware will work. Not all the parts were tested so problems may arise, especially at the highest frequencies.

    To be continued...

    Design and reports are attached (as zip file) in "Files" section.