Spent a couple hours in the shop this evening digging up materials and playing with layouts for the new case.
I think I have it roughly figured out. You can see the profile template I created laying on the cheap laminated shelving board in the pic above. I cut that out to see how it will look and fit together. I also figured out how to hack up the Data Analyzer case that is donating the CRT, power supply, cooling fan, and power switch/relay. It will also provide the base and top cover over the CRT.
Some painted sheet aluminum from a different parted out analyzer will be used for the keyboard and front face plates.
Now I just need to dig up some 12" x 1" solid wood self boards or something similar. These cheap laminated boards aren't going to hack it. I'd like to use solid wood that will take a stain reasonably to maintain a proper retro home-built look. I think I can find some pine shelving board without doing anything too drastic.